Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Michigan v. Georgia

Dawg blogger Kyle King advocates an OOC series between Georgia and Michigan. Not a bad idea if you ask me. Two big name programs from different areas of the country that haven't met in a long time, despite each playing plenty of bowl game against the other's conference. Now I'm not going to get into the whole college BCS/bowl system/playoff possiblities and what they mean to scheduling varying levels of OOC competition to maximize your team's chances of postseason success. But I will say that a Michigan-Georgia matchup in September would get the juices going.

But if I have to hear one more idiot rant on about "southern speed" I think might lose it.

Sorry, back on topic now. Let's get UM and UGA lined up for battle. Michigan has faced plenty of big name OOC opponents over the past 10-20 years, but none from the SEC. Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, UCLA, Colorado, Virginia, Boston College, Oregon, Washington, etc. have all been featured OOC opponents at one time. But the only time we face big name SEC schools is in bowl games. Let's change that and have an entire summer of hype leading up to what would be one of the biggest early season tilts across the country. Plus, Athens isn't a far drive for me so it'd be awesome to watch the Wolverines play at Sanford Stadium. And I doubt any Georgia fans would whine about coming to Ann Arbor for a beautiful fall day and some football watching in the Big House.

And mucho thanks go out to MGoBlog for bringing this to my attention!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home