Thank God the Tigers are smoking hot this year because after the US Open, the sports scene turns pretty dreadful for the most part. NFL and CFB are a ways off. The Stanley Cup has 1 game left. The NBA finals are almost done. Well, I guess the World Cup counts as something. Anyways...
- The U.S. just got bitched by the ref against Italy in Europe and still outplayed them and got a draw. When is the last time we could whine about only getting a tie against a European power in Europe?
- Phil Mickelson is a hell of a player, but I'm still feeling bad for Monty. He has always been the crusty and boorish Scotsman that didn't get along with the crowds in America. But if he would've held on for a par at the 72nd hole and won the U.S. Open I think it would've been one of the most emotional scenes ever at a major. He's a gamer and has been in the hunt on numerous occasions. Now that he's softened a bit in his old(er) age, he had the U.S. crowd behind him. It would've been special to see him get the win. Alas, it might have been his last and best shot at a major. Hats off to Tiger for even showing up and trying. The fact that he missed the cut in a major for the first time in his career shows exactly how mentally into it he was.
- The Detroit Tigers are still smoking. 46-24 on the season and a 1.5 game lead over the White Sox for the best record in the majors. Kenny Rogers is a machine. Curtis Granderson is on fire. Carlos Guillen is fun to watch. It's been so damn long since the Tigers were this good that I don't think any Detroit fan can remember what it was like.
- Mike Hart is healthy. Considering he's a threat to go for 200 yards against anybody, Michigan opponents should be very afraid. Because Lloyd Carr magically becomes an excellent coach when he has a powerful rushing attack.
- For the love of God the Hurricanes better win the Stanley Cup tomorrow. If the Oilers win, the NHL will completely turn into a laughingstock. Their clutch and grab play has gotten them through the Western Conference despite the NHL's insistance on a crack down on this. But alas, they are 1 game away from being the worst team in American pro sports history to win a championship. I normally root for the underdog, but they are a joke.