Wednesday, November 23, 2005

College Hockey Showcase

College hockey once again takes center stage this Thanksgiving Weekend as #7 Minnesota and #2 Wisconsin represent the WCHA in games against Michigan State and #1 Michigan. The Wolverines put their top ranking on the line against the Gophers Friday night at Yost and follow it up Saturday against the Badgers. You might recall that Michigan has gotten swept in the past 2 seasons against their Big Ten/WCHA rivals.

I say it's time for a little payback. Plus it would be a big notch in Michigan's belt in the Pairwise Rankings (along with that W over Boston College) come NCAA seeding time. Here's a little preview from the Michigan Daily (on CSTV.com).

And don't forget the hoops team has a game on Saturday at home against a Butler squad that just took Ohio State to overtime last night.

5 Comments:

Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Michigan looked like a team playing 11 freshmen this weekend. Red Berenson is starting to get the same rep as Lloyd Carr... nobody gets less out of more.

btw, how does a guy in North Carolina get to be such a fan of Michigan teams?

Sun Nov 27, 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger robert paulson said...

I'd hardly call the best hockey coach in the country somebody that gets less out of more considering Michigan has been harder by early entrants to the NHL draft than any team in the country not only this year but the past decade.


As for a guy in North Carolina, I'm a recent transplant to the south. Grew up in Michigan and have 2 degrees from the best school in the world!

And yes, it sucks being stuck down here and having zero chance to watch the hockey team play.

Mon Nov 28, 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

I have only seen them play in person once this year, and that was against Notre Dame, hardly a fit opponent.

I have seen them a lot the previous two years, and they have really under achieved in the NCAA (blowing that 4 goal lead to Colorado College last year in what was for all intents and purposes a home game in Grand Rapids made for one of the longest two hour drives I've ever had). I love Red, and I have been a fan since his fifty goal days with the Blues (yeah, I'm a geezer). But he currently has at least ten players from the US National under 18 team. With that kind of talent, it is easy to see why they have been ranked #1 most of the year. But they really haven't neccessarily PLAYED like #1.

I think it is more accurate to say the Red is the best recruiter in college hockey.

Having said all that, I gotta tell ya, Jack Johnson is a HORSE!

Thu Dec 01, 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Being in NC you should have a chance to Johnson play next year!

Thu Dec 01, 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger robert paulson said...

I truly hope I do not have a chance to watch Jack play in Raleigh next year. While I would go to the games and cheer him on, I'd much rather read recaps of his performance in Ann Arbor.

Thu Dec 01, 03:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home